Having trouble with your birth certificate? Here are a few tips to help with correcting your Birth Certificate

The one common document that we need in our everyday civil life is our birth certificate. But what if your ever so important paper has a lot of corrections that need to be done for you to be able to use it? Of course, you’re going to want to fix any and all errors, which you can thankfully, but bear in mind that it does cost money to do so.

For the error of having blurred words or parts in your document, you can visit your local civil registrar and request a new copy, but if in the case that even the civil registrar’s copy is blurry, you may file a petition to get a totally new copy. Same goes for having wrong spellings in your names. If your paper lacks your first, middle, or surname, you may file a supplementary report for such missing names.

In this section, we’ll take a look at the special cases, errors that go beyond grammatical and mundane ones. If a legitimate child has no middle name, the parent can file a supplemental report for the child. They are required to give a reason for the failure to give the information during the birth. For illegitimate children but acknowledged by their fathers with the same case, the father may file for a supplementary report, in which the last name of the child’s mother will be used. For illegitimate children that aren’t acknowledged by their fathers, then they will make use of their mother’s surname as their own, not as a middle name. If in case the child’s middle name isn’t the same as the mother’s surname, they may file for a petition to get a change in their document. If both the mother and the child has wrong middle names, they can file a petition on the Trial Court where the civil registry is found. This is not a clerical error and must be corrected administratively. The lawyer might require the petitioner to keep any documents that may be used to support the petition. If the middle name and surname are interchangeable, there is no need for any petitions as it is pretty easy to resolve.

Other special cases include but are not limited to the following:
Anyone born before August 3, 1988, can use the father’s last name if both the mother and the father acknowledged him/her. A child can only use the last name of any of the parents who acknowledge him/her. If a child uses the mother’s last name with the father’s acknowledgment inauthentic writings, the child can use his/her father’s last name. If the mother’s last name is used by the child, but the father acknowledged the child and insist him/her to carry the father’s surname, the father must file an affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father in the civil register where it is filed. Any Private Handwritten Instrument presented by the father can be used to certify that he allows the child to use his last name.

Any birth certificate that is not yet registered but is acknowledged by the father at the back of the document allows and let the child use the father’s last name. Given names specifically “Baby boy” and “Baby girl” that was born before 1993 is considered disregarded and needs a supplemental report. A petition should be filled with this entry.

Keep in mind that only the parents or any relative with authority can make petitions for changes if the owner is still a minor. The petitioners may file changes to the local civil registry office where the certificate of the child is registered. Should the petitioner be born abroad, they may ask help from the Philippines Consulate Office where s/he is born. The documents that will be asked are the certified machine copy of the birth certificate and two public or private documents such as voter’s affidavit or even their baptismal certificate. Some things to note are indigent petitioners are exempted from fees and that the local civil registry might ask for more documents for validation of your request.